Re: Piston and Valve overhaul for R1100RT

In a message dated 9/24/06 6:48:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
renders@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< A few weeks ago I lost a lof of oil while driving on the road due to the
oil level inspection window falling out. I decided to open up the Engine and do
a complete overhaul of the engine. Now I have taken the engine apart and I
need some advice regarding diagnostics for the pistons and valves. I have
removed the carbon from the piston and I am wondering if I should replace the piston
as the piston top surface got slightly scratched. Does this matter at all?
The scratches are very minor but you can see some shiny Aluminium in the
scratches. Should I have the pistons inspected or just replace them with new ones or
don't worry? Or can you sand the piston?  >>

What did you scrape the carbon with?  If they're only minor scratches I'd
tape up the pistons and have the tops bead blasted.  DO NOT bead the ring
grooves, it affects ring-seal and not in a good way.

Cheers
Paul
NJ