Re: head gaskets

> Second question is, is it possible that the bolts holding the cylinder
> on just need to be retorqued? Or is the gasket seal shot, now that it
> has been compromised?
>

> Thanks,
> Mark

Leaking around head gaskets happens even on Oilheads and no problem
tightening head bolts as a first try, as others have said and it worked
good on my heads. But I believe the torque/angle method is an
engineering daydream that can't be applied in practice to re-torquing a
bike like you are doing. (Yes, you can certainly go through the motions
but that is not the same as saying you are actually achieving a correct
and repeatable setting which is the same on all bolts.) As a start,
just torque lubricated bolts the old way, say to 35 ft lbs.... or at
least, don't take your eyes off the torque wrench when doing it the new
way (right... you can't use a clicker wrench).

With other engines, is was kind of routine to check the headbolt torque
now and then although I don't know if that was smart or no?. Not sure
if people do this on Oilheads?

Ben
Toronto