Clutch fails to disengage

2000 R1100RT-P
65000 Miles

I purchased this motorcycle a few months ago from an individual, brought it
home and had complete service done on the bike by the local dealer.  I have
been commuting on the bike ever since about 50 miles a day and everything
seemed to be great.

About 1 week ago while stopped at a light I noticed that it was getting
difficult to shift in to neutral while at stop lights, but I did not think
much about it.

Yesterday on the way back to work from the bank the the clutch began to fade
and would not disenguage.  The more times I pulled it, the worse it got.  I
got back to work, stalled it with the brake and took a look at everything,
cable seemed good on both sides and I would adjust it at the hand lever
enough for the trip home i thought.

It lasted about 2 stop lights on the way home then it was gone, luckily I
was on the HOV lane and was able to make it to the BMW shop without any
stops, still a nerve wracking ride.  The shop adjusted the clutch from the
tranny side then fade out again.  We got to a point where we could disengage
it, however it feels very bad at the lever, like it is overloading the
springs or something.

I have read many posts about clutches burning out and not being able to
propel the bike, however nothing about clutches that will not disengage.

I appreciate any input as I am dreading the possibility of changing the
clutch on the rt-p.

Thank you,

Frank