Re: R1100 oil change

At 07:59 AM 11/21/2007, scott Baxter wrote:
put in engine.  Idled for 10 min and sight glass was
FULL.  Drained 640 ml (measured) and sight glass was
just above dot.  Went to bed.

I get on bike this morning to ride to work, and ride
about 3 mi and pull over to check oil, thinking it may
be low.  NOT.  Sight glass totally full again.  I'm
not putting a lot of faith in that PDF guide now.

What on earth is the proper amount of oil to put in an
R1100 engine when the oil filter is replaced?  Shame
on me for not measuring the oil I put in the filter,
but What I had to drain back out of the bike well
exceeds the filter's volume.  Something's not right here.

Your oil cooler and lines hold quite a bit of oil.  It's always
best to pre-fill the filter and then add oil till at the center
dot on the sight glass.  Run the engine to check for leaks
and then (once warm) shut it off.  Check the level again
after 30 minutes or so and fill to the dot if needed.

Blindly adding the recommended amount is NOT wise
and there is nothing wrong with that pdf as a guide.

Mick
Tucson