Re: BMW Motorcycles featured prominently in Cycle World magazine

Hello All,

> re:  Cycle World's tone is sending signals that BMW Motorrad has shaken
> the "slow, heavy, underpowered motorcycles with 'character', made for
> eccentric, affluent gentlemen" image. (Steve)
>

> Too bad.
>
> Better to say "moved away from" rather than "shaken," as there's nothing
> wrong with former.
>
> Clearly any company that sells a 507-hp M5 ought to have some performance
> motorcycles, but OTOH they don't sell very many and the other vehicles
> have to have some redeeming characteristics other than outrageous
> performance to be successful.
>
> Rather than calling Cycle World's viewpoint "racist," which is frankly
> quite accurately descriptive, I'd rather call it immature and
> testosterone-overdosed.  It sells a lot of iron and is a tried and true
> formula.  Like the Marlboro man in fact.  BTW, all girls like beer.

Before this thread gets waaaaay out of hand, please note that the expression
"slow, heavy, underpowered ..." is NOT  a quote from Cycle World, but
rather, it is my description of the tone set by the article. I suggest that
people read the article before they form an opinion on it.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada