Re: Battery longevity?

Hello all,

From: "Clive Liddell" <cliddell@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Dean,
> There are a couple of things you can try to stretch your battery life:
>
> 1. After switching on, wait for 10 to 15 seconds before trying to start.
> This seems to stabilize the battery voltage and works well for me.  I hate
> having to stop and re-start.
[...]

Just to clarify this, the BMW ABS computer boots up when you turn the
ignition key on. This process takes a few seconds, during which time the
computer is sensitive to voltage fluctuations. If you engage the starter
button during the booting process, the current drawn by the starter may
cause a significant enough drop in battery voltage to cause the ABS computer
to fault out. The risk of this happening increases as the battery ages, and
is less able to deliver the fully rated Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

One way to get around this without replacing your battery is to turn on the
ignition key to the "run" position, wait several seconds (5 is more than
sufficient), and then engage the starter button.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada