Ride Height

Ben:

>...Now let us get factual about the degree of influence the rear
>ride-height adjustment has on handling. And here I am only talking
>about you riding solo and thinking you want to take Tom B's advice
>about fine-tuning your handling by fiddling with the ride-height knob....

First, I didn't bring up the height vs. handling thing.  Tom Cutter did.   He
said, and I agree, than if you lower the front, the bike will turn in better
and if you raise it, it will feel more stable.   I'm not wild about adjusting
the front pre-load at all and said later that it can cause scraping of the
front belly pan on RTs, but it can be done and it's about the only way you can
lower the front end.

Second, I didn't say that fine adjustments to the rear preload will make a big
difference in handling.   I did say a while back that a little more spring
preload can make a bike ride smoother if your rebound damping is near the
point of being too much.  It's easier and sometimes more effective to just
twist the spring down half a turn...it can smooth out the ride a lot.

Ben, This is what you quoted.  Where am I talking about rear preload in this?
(the "Tom" I mention in the first sentence is Tom Cutter, not Tom Brown.)

>> Tom is right again about the front preload affecting the bike's
>> geometry.
>> This is about the only way to adjust front end height on Telelever
> >bikes
> >because you can't really raise the front fork tubes like on a sport
> >bike with
> >normal forks.  You'd raise them up (lower the front of the bike) for
> >turn-in,
>> or drop them down (raise the bike up) for straight line stability.

- -TB