RE: 1998 R1100R and luggage rack

Toby,
A friend (who is a good welder) and I between us made a rack frame (for my
1996 R) the design of which "takes" an (11*0 )RT rack.  It is very sturdy
BUT it required much patience and doggedness to get done mainly due to there
being many angles of fit and not to alter any existing part.  We are both
retired engineers my friend ME and myself EE so if the job would be priced
it could be approaching the "priceless" mark :)) .

Apart from being a firmer support than the RT I arranged for it to mount the
rack a little forward and just over the grab handle which remains to give
the side supports more stability.  I moved it a bit forward to minimise rear
overhang as far as possible and I am very happy with it.  My granddaughter
has no problems but a person of more generous proportions may encounter
space problems however...

Let me know if you want me to email you a pic or two.

Regards

Clive Liddell
PMB, South Africa
R850R
R1100RT
======================
My wife just bought a 1998 R1100R -- thanks to all those who responded to my
questions about the 1998 model year.

Is there any way to add a luggage rack to an R1100R manufactured 1/1998
without also having to buy another seat?

Thanks,

Toby

- --
Toby Berk
'76 R60/6, '87 R80, '01 R1100R
wife's: '78 R80/7, '98 R1100R and 2004 Bonneville "Loud Valves Save Lives"