NOISY gear changes & other weird behavior - 2000 R1100R

I recently purchased a used 2000 R1100R with 22K miles.  After putting close
to 1000 miles on it, I am experiencing some weird problems and hoping
someone can shed light for me.

1. On a few occasions, when coming to a stop, the rear wheel jerked (almost
felt like it went over a rock) and then the bike stopped. It started right
up, but was an extremely disconcerting feeling.  I cannot seem to remember
exactly the sequence of events - but all the times I was slowing down and
the clutch was pulled in.

2. Gear changes are becoming extremely noise, especially after riding for a
while. This is most pronounced going into first from Neutral.  One time at a
stop light, I could swear that I scared a few drivers around me with the
loud grinding noise. Going to second from first is scary as well.

3. A few times at a stop light, I was in first with clutch pulled in, but
when I started to go, the bike was in neutral. One time I thought that maybe
I forgot to put it in first, but it happened again.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Ash