1966 BMW R69S Restoration: February 1999 [Page 2]

<=== Prev Next ===>


1999 February 12 (Friday)

Case masking
Masked engine case

Masked engine case

Masked engine case

I used cut up manila folders and masking tape to seal the parts of the engine case where I don’t want glass beads before taking them to Groeger Special Tooling for bead blasting.

1999 February 14 (Sunday)

Case bead blasting
Bead blasted case parts

Bead blasted case parts

Bead blasted case parts
Ready for re-assembly

Ready for re-assembly

Ready for re-assembly

Bead blasting and washing makes things look much better. I broke down and bought a small compressor with pancake tank so I could blow lots of air into places where water could hide. Also used some WD-40. In addition to the parts shown in the images I blasted the case including the top cover and the tachometer drive take-off cover. Nothing was done with the cylinders and the cylinder heads. The parts were stored for eventual re-assembly.

1999 February 16 (Tuesday)

Clutch lever pin
Clutch lever at back of transmission

Clutch lever at back of transmission

Clutch lever at back of transmission

I checked the clutch lever and pivot pin before ordering parts. They were OK and will be re-used.

1999 February 25 (Thursday)

Headlight ears
Cracked brackets

Cracked brackets

Cracked brackets

I was almost ready to see about getting the frame painted. However, both headlight ears have cracks which will only get worse over time. The cracks had to be repaired before painting.

1999 February 26 (Friday)

Cleaning hardware
Transmission hardware

Transmission hardware

Transmission hardware
Rear brake hardware

Rear brake hardware

Rear brake hardware

I hadn’t yet decided to replace much of the hardware with stainless and thought I was going to have all of it re-plated. In preparation for plating I soaked the hardware in parts dip then used a scothbrite pad with Simple Green. I used compressed air to blow the parts dry before storing in zip-lock bags.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>