After the restoration: 21,600 Mile Service
Thursday, Sep 29, 2011 [21545 miles]
Next weekend is the annual CCCBBQ. Better get the bike ready even though its a few miles short of the 21,600 mile mark. This is a 7,200 mile service with full fluid changes. Unlike past updates I’m not going to document each and everything I did with pictures. It’s the same stuff I’ve done before. I will note a few things that were non-standard.
I got one of the mini-AGM batteries from Vech a while back. It seems to be doing quite well, once I hollowed out the case from an old flooded lead acid battery and stuffed the new battery inside. It was only on the charger for few minutes before it turned green.
This is only the second time, I think, that I’ve changed air filters. It’s about time. Now I will have to order a spare.
The inner seal of the rear wheel didn’t do its job, leaving me with grease droppings all over my brakes. I expected this as rear brake action was bad and getting worse. I replaced the seal while I had the wheel bearings out and also mounted a different pair of shoes when I put the wheel back on the bike.
The front brakes were fine, although I may need new shoes sooner rather than later. Wheel bearings were fine, too. Now they have new grease.
I removed and cleaned the carbs. The O-ring on the left side slide cap broke. That’s why I keep lots of spares. I’ve learned not to remove the slide cap unless I have a spare O-ring on hand.
Valves were fine with no movement on the left side and minor tighnening on the right. I re-torqued the heads. This service calls for new plugs, but I didn’t have any. I think that means I used my spares when I put the enging back together last year in which case I don’t need to change plugs, anyway. The old plugs were in good shape. I checked the gap and put them back in the bike.
Timing was right on.. no adjustements needed.
After checking valves and timing I took the bike on a 10 miles check ride to get it up to operating temperature. Back in the garage I hooked up the Harmonizer to check idle balance (it was quite close) and off idle balance. Off idle needed a bit more tweaking than usual.
Next came fluid changes: Engine oil, transmission oil, drive shaft oil, and final drive oil. No grit found in any of the magnetic plugs. No metalic sheen on the waste fluids.
I took another short test ride after the fluid changes. The carb syncing made a noticeable difference. The bike went from nice to nicer. It’s also nice to have working rear brakes again, too. I stopped at a gas station to top off the tank before returning home. The bike is ready for the ride to Lake San Antonio.