DR650 7500 mile service
Monday, Apr 23 2018 [7,406 miles]
When I did the 4K service I stated I was going to service the bike every 4,000 miles. I’ve changed my mind. I’ll instead service the bike every 3,500 miles which follows the Suzuki service inteval recommendations. That means it’s time. I’ve updated my service checklist (pdf) to say what will be done every service vs every other service. I changed all of the “inspect” items to every service. I will also change the oil filter every service.
And as part of the service I’m upgrading my front suspension with Cogent Dynamics DDCs and constant rate springs – .52 kg/mm for my weight. The parts arrived Saturday. Of course I had to take pics before removing them from the box.
I may have spent more time this afternoon cleaning than doing any actual maintenance. I removed the side covers, tank, and bash plate. Before doing much more I wiped down the engine cases.
Next I removed the air cleaner and hit it with some UNI foam filter cleaner and let it sit for a bit before washing it and setting it out in the sun to dry along with the washed bash plate and counter sprocket cover.
The inline fuel filter was in OK shape. Some discoloration, but no grit that I could feel with my fingers. Putting the filter back was another issue. I think it took me 20 minutes and one busted knuckle to get the filter back in the elbow. It was an extra tight fit and I didn’t want to cause any damage.
The plugs don’t need to be changed, but I wanted to give them a check. Also, it is easier to rotate the engine to find TDC for the valve check when the plugs are removed.
I didn’t have any problem removing the access port to rotate the crank. Many do. Once I found TDC on the appropriate stroke I checked the valves. The intake were fine, the exhaust were a little tight. I brought the exhaust valve clearance into spec.
There was the usual thick amount of grunge under the counter sprocket cover. I cleaned much of it off. Once that was done I cleaned and oiled the chain and inspected the sprockets. All is well.
While working in that area I removed the screw plug that I’d made to fill the hole where the upper chain roller used to live. I wanted to check if the chain was hitting the head of the screw. I don’t think it was, but I still I put the screw in the lathe and faced off the head to thin it out in a mostly even manner. Last time I did the job I used a bench grinder – I didn’t have a lathe at that time.
Other things not pictured include:
- clean carb breather filter
- oiled and re-installed the air filter
- check clutch cable
- check throttle and ‘choke’ cables.
- check tires (need new front, soon) and air pressure
- check rear suspension
- check brake pads (might need new fronts, soon) and rotor thickness.
It’s past time to flush the brake fluid. I went to the shelf and found two bottles of DOT 4 – both of which had been opened some time in the past. I keep openned bottles to clean grunge off of caliper pistons before retracting them into the caliper during a bleed. I know that brake fluid won’t harm piston seals.
Tomorrow, time permitting, I’ll take care of the front forks. The front fork test ride will warm the bike up so I can change the oil and filter. I’ll pick up some fresh brake fluid at that time, too.
I put the battery on a smart charger. It indicated “full charge” within a few minutes. That’s my indication that the battery is probably still good. I’ll keep it on the over night just because.