DR650 11K Service [page 2]

<=== Prev Next ===>


Sunday, July 21 2019 [10,862 miles]

Oiled air filter

Oiled air filter

Oiled air filter
Found the missing clamp

Found the missing clamp

Found the missing clamp

The air filter was dry after sitting over night. I oiled it, wiped out the air box, and installed the cleaned and oiled filter. When wiping out the air box I found the clip that was supposed to keep the carb breather attached to the vent hose. The clip will go in the spare parts box. The cable tie I used is much more secure.

Disconnect carb

Disconnect carb

Disconnect carb
Which tube goes where

Which tube goes where

Which tube goes where
Carb removed

Carb removed

Carb removed
Carb removed

Carb removed

Carb removed

I disconnected the enrichment adjustment cable, throttle cables, and other connections from the carburetor. After loosening the clamps that hold it to the air box boot and the intake boot I managed to remove the carb from the bike. The carb is going to get a new jet needle and o-rings.

New jet needle

New jet needle

New jet needle
Old and new

Old and new

Old and new

I’ve been using the stock jet needle with a shim. I’m replacing it with an adjustable jet needle, clip in the 2nd slot from the top. If I don’t like the results I’ll put the original needle back. I can do that without removing the carb. The carb came off the bike this time to get at the float o-rings.

Soft fastener

Soft fastener

Soft fastener
Carb fuel filter

Carb fuel filter

Carb fuel filter

The two fasteners that hold the float bowl to the carb body are made of something quite soft. I was using a proper JIS screwdriver. Didn’t help. I broke out the impact driver. The screw heads gave way. Grumble. While figuring out which way I was going to fix this I removed the inline fuel filter for cleaning. It wasn’t dirty.

Prepare for surgery

Prepare for surgery

Prepare for surgery
Cut slots

Cut slots

Cut slots
There's the float

There’s the float

There’s the float
Replacement hardware

Replacement hardware

Replacement hardware

Time for some Dremel action. I masked off every opening into the carb to keep crap out. A cutoff wheel on my Dremel made some slots on the screws with the buggered heads. The impact driver with an appropriate sized slotted head loosened the screws with a couple of taps. The screws are M5 x 0.80. How about that, I’ve some M5 x 80 socket head cap screws that are the appropriate length (14 mm). That’s what I’ll use to re-attach the fload bowl.

New O-rings installed

New O-rings installed

New O-rings installed
All back together

All back together

All back together
Back on the bike

Back on the bike

Back on the bike

I swapped out o-rings and put the carb back together. It’s nice knowing I’ll have an easier time next time I need to remove the float bowl. The carb went back on the bike with everything connected save the fuel line/fuel tank.

Clean chain

Clean chain

Clean chain
Lubricated chain

Lubricated chain

Lubricated chain

I put a scissor jack under the bike to raise the rear end so I can clean and lube the chain. It does not need any adjustment. The chain and sprockets look very good. I wonder what chain/sprocket life I’m going to get.

Not pictured: I checked brake rotors, brake pads, and the brake fluid. My tester says the fluid in both reservoirs had < 1% water. Good enough.I usually flush fluid when the tester reads <2%. The tester says to change at 3%.

Side stand is lubricated, clutch free play checked, lights checked, etc. Tomorrow I’ll put the tank back on the bike and give it a ride to get the engine up to temp before changing oil and oil filter. I still have a front tire to change, too.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>