Tuesday, Apr 22 2014 [25,724 miles]
This afternoon I started putting the R69S together. I didn’t get quite as far as I hoped, but still made good progress.
check oil flow
remove oil pump gear
First things first. I wanted to make sure that I had good oil flow so I put some fresh oil into the case and spun the oil pump gear by hand. I soon had oil coming out the channels at the bottom of the cylinder openings. A few more turns had oil coming out of the pipe that feeds oil between main timing gear and the cam gear.
Once I verified that oil was flowing I removed the oil pump gear to make installing the timing gear easier.
timing gear install
install timing gear
timing gear installed
I got my tools ready and in position to install the timing gear. I also added some lube to the nose of the crankshaft. I put the gear on a fire brick and used a mapp gas torch to get it to a little more than 300 ºF according to my IR thermometer. I used a pair of smooth jaw channel locks to put the gear in position aligned with the woodruf key. The gear was still hot enough to press on without any need for excess force. I removed the tools and let the gear cool down.
timing marks match
all gears installed
I gooped up the reground cam with the provided initial lubricant while the timing gear was cooling. Once that was done I heated the case where the cam bearing holder is installed and slid the cam into place. I installed and tightened the 4 screws in a cross pattern until the cam was fully seated. That was followed by a tripple check that the timing marks were correct.
There is a little more backlash using my replacement timing gear than I had with my original gear. I think. It’s close (going from memory, not any specific measurement. I installed the oil pump gear after wiping the conical surfaces down with som Alcohol. The oil pump gear is loose, but it always was.
timing case cover
timing case cover prep
The timing case cover got new seals and I prepared a fresh gasket. Before installing the cover I placed the well oiled breather with associated hardware over the cam gear and put a fresh bearing on the nose of the crank to support the generator. Once my very thin coat of gasket goop had time to set I installed the timing case cover and the 12 screws that hold it in place.
generator and magneto
check static timing
I installed the generator, the R69S crank damper (not pictured) and the magneto. I static timed the magneto using the beep funcion on my multi meter. Having learned from last time I rotated the crank to check the timing on the other lobe of the advance. Not good. Not good at all. Last time that was an issue I rotated the magneto rotor 180º and things got better. That will have to wait until tomorrow.