After the restoration: Cam Woes [page 5]

<=== Prev Next ===>


Tuesday Mar 18 2014 [25,724 miles]

Camshaft prep
Re-ground camshaft

Re-ground camshaft

Re-ground camshaft
Front bearing installed

Front bearing installed

Front bearing installed
Cam gear and woodruff key need to be installed

Cam gear and woodruff key need to be installed

Cam gear and woodruff key need to be installed

Sometimes things don’t go as planned.

I was feeling better this afternoon after several days of fighting a chest cold. I felt good enough to unwrap the camshaft I received Saturday and see if I could put at least part of it together. I don’t have a press so didn’t expect to mount the cam gear. I could at least take some pictures.

Boy, the bearing (it’s new) went on real easy. Too easy. I could almost install it with my fingers and there is free play instead of an interference fit. I bet if I tried I could turn the shaft inside the bearing inner race with my fingers. That is not going to work.

I took some pictures while the bearing was installed then removed the bearing w/carrier and measured the camshaft. I think it is supposed to be a bit larger than 17 mm. Instead it is a bit smaller (about 16.96 mm).

Good thing I’m not in a hurry.

Saturday Apr 19 2014 [25,724 miles]

Camshaft ready to install
Cam w/new bearing and gear installed

Cam w/new bearing and gear installed

Cam w/new bearing and gear installed

This was ready a few weeks ago but I was busy doing other things. I finally took a ride to Sebastopol and picked up my cam. The bearing and cam gear were already installed. I hope to get back to working on the R69S next week.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>