1966 BMW R69S Restoration: March 1999
1999 March 01 (Monday)
This image shows cleaned and bead blasted slingers. They are ready to be re-installed.
Saturday I stripped the paint from the brackets and then bead blasted them nice and clean. Sunday the cracks were brazed. It will be very difficult to tell that anything was done to them once they are painted and mounted on the bike.
As long as I was in paint stripping mode I took care of these items. They will be bead blasted later. The springs, brake lever, and foot pegs will be zinc plated. The the air cleaner will be painted with “aluminum” colored paint from a rattle can.
1999 March 02 (Tuesday)
The images show the frame parts that I knew would be powder coated. I took these, plus the headlight bucket mounting ears and a new cargo rack to the powder coater. I was hoping for a pearly white. The powder coater said that if I picked a color he had on hand it was $75 cheaper. I said “white”. He grabbed a color chart and pointed to a few shades of white that he had in stock. I affectionately call the color I picked refrigerator white. I didn’t remember it’s actual name.
1999 March 03 (Wednesday)
I ordered a stainless side-stand from Mark Huggett. It arrived. The mounting for this stand replaces the spacers between engine and frame on the left side of the bike. The side-stand looked great.
1999 March 19 (Friday)
When putting the front brakes back together after bead blasting I noticed that the two springs were different. I guessed (wrong, of course) and put it back this way. If you look at the picture you’ll see that the spring on the left is made from a lighter material than the spring on the right. They must be swapped. The lighter spring must be used for the upper shoe. It needs to be the spring toward the rear of the bike. On my bike the “heavy” spring is 17 turns and the “light” spring is 19 turns. (Grabs calliper) The “heavy” spring is made from 2.5 mm material, the “light” spring from 2.2 mm material.